Feb 25 and 26 are National Adjunct Awareness Day!
Across the country, adjuncts are striking for recognition and better working conditions. We are not striking – but we ARE raising awareness of the very significant contribution we make to UML.
Please participate Wednesday and Thursday. Wear your Blue Ribbon with Pride!
Wednesday and Thursday: Tell Your Students Who We Are:
572 Adjunct Faculty Members vs. 448 Tenure Track Faculty at UML
We are all members of the Adjunct Faculty Union
Nationally, 70% of all faculty are adjunct – the trend has been toward more adjuncts
Ask your Students: if they can tell the difference between an adjunct and tenured professor, or if they know what the difference is
- Guaranteed job at the University
- Difficult to get – long process, publication, committee approval
- Good salaries and benefits
- Voice in governance
Explain being Adjunct:
- Technically, means “extra.”
- 60-70% of faculty are adjunct – not “extra”
- Many have PhD’s
- Many have interesting work experience/achievements outside of the university
- Teaching is our main job at the University
- Easier to get hired as adjunct
- Little job security
- No retirement or health care
- Low pay
- Unionized 3 years ago – many improvements since then
Allow some time for question and answer.
Hand out the Bookmarks!
We’re going to have a tour of the art gallery and hear about some work done by Professional Development recipients.
EVENT: Adjunct Faculty 2nd Social Gathering
DATE: Thursday Evening, February 19
TIME: 5:30 PM – 7 PM
PLACE: UMass Art Gallery – South Campus 1st floor of Mahoney Hall at 870 Broadway Street